Wimborne Minster

From whichever direction Wimborne is approached the two towers of the Minster can be seen. On closer inspection, it is quite obvious that the Church was built by loving hands to the glory of God rather than by great architectural expertise.The Minster is dedicated to St. Cuthburga - sister to King Ina, King of the West Saxons. St. Cuthburga founded a Benedictine Nunnery here in c. A.D. 705. 


The Minster, a former monastery and Benedictine nunnery, is the resting place of King Ethelred of Wessex.known locally as the Minster, is the parish church of WimborneDorsetEngland. The Minster has existed for over 1300 years and is recognised for its unusual chained library (one of only four surviving chained libraries in the world[

Priest's House Museum & Garden 

 The Priest's House Museum & Garden is located in the heart of the beautiful market  town of Wimborne Minster.


 Using collections rich in archaeology and costume, and childhood and local history material, the museum tells the story of East Dorset. Period rooms, from a 17th century hall to the working Victorian kitchen, show how life and work has changed in this historic townhouse. There are 10 galleries to explore. Displays include audio descriptions and children's activities. A beautiful walled garden, gift shop and tearoom complete any visit.

 Model Town

The original idea to create a model town was first discussed way back in the 1940s. A small group of local gentlemen started taking photographs of buildings and preparing detailed plans. A site was found for the project just off the Cornmarket. A 1/10th scale was decided upon which would enable a large section of the town centre to be constructed within the confines of the walled site.Building commenced in the late 1940s and by 1951 the new attraction welcomed its first visitors. The buildings were cast in concrete panels, and most of the window frames were made of Beech wood. Once open the Model Town very quickly became a popular attraction, with visitors flocking from all over the country to marvel at the magical miniature world that had been created.

Tivoli Theatre 

The Tivoli was built in 1936 as a cine/theatre and the tradition of showing bothfilms and live stage shows continues to the present day. Big audiences for major shows were traditional at the Tivoli and the theatre has once again achieved the status of a major venue with 483 seats. Local people enjoy the finest and latest films available and with full surround sound. The Tivoli is justly proud that for a theatre of its size it has brought productions to this area which would not have been thought possible back in 1993. The feedback from artistes and agents backs up the claim to this phenomenal success.

Wimborne Market  

Was founded in about 1855 by Thomas Ensor, who had already established a livestock market at Dorchester

Livestock numbers declined at Wimborne and ceased in about 1972. A large produce auction on Tuesdays market continued until about 1975. A separate stall market was established in about 1970 on Fridays and this grew rapidly.  In about 1972 a small antique and bric-a-brac market was started in a building that had previously been used to sell pigs, this grew rapidly and new buildings were quickly added.

By 1990 Wimborne Market had grown into one of the largest open and covered stall markets in the South of England and a multi-storey car park was built.  More new buildings and outside cover has been added recently.